Social distancing and staying at home has been a challenge for many, especially for parents who now have to homeschool their kids. However, this extra time that parents now have to spend with their children can be taken advantage of! Use this time to emphasize the importance of living a healthy lifestyle, even in quarantine.
It can be hard for kids to stay active when they don’t have their friends to play with or a playground to play on. Keep your kids active with these fun ideas:
- When planning out your kids’ homeschool schedule, be sure to include recess! Plan out an hour of their day where they can play outside.
- Go on a family bike ride around the neighborhood.
- Put on your favorite music and have a dance party! We found a great Spotify playlist that will have the whole family up on their feet dancing.
- If the kids were involved in extracurricular sports, play with them at home. Whether it be tossing a baseball back and forth or kicking around a soccer ball, it will be great practice!
Sometimes it’s hard to find healthy treats that your kids will like. Here are some healthy alternatives to kid’s favorite foods:
- Try replacing fruit juice with flavored water. Adding some frozen berries to your water is a tasty and refreshing treat. It will keep your kids hydrated and reduce their sugar intake.
- If there’s anything kids love, it’s a good snack. Swap out chips and dip with some carrots and hummus.
- If your kids love pancakes, try making banana oat pancakes as a healthier alternative. A great way to use the oats from your Full Cart package!
- When making burgers, swap out that red meat for leaner turkey meat and make turkey burgers.
- Instead of milkshakes, have healthy fruit smoothies for dessert.